Popcorn Munchers on F.H.E.!

arMy husband and I had a simple and meaningful family home evening tonight. Last Saturday evening, when we went to supermarket, I asked my husband if we can buy pop corn for our family home evening. He was hesitant but I told him it will be fun. I'm sure of that. And I wanna try something new, hence, I got this idea from a very smart Latter-Dy Saint sister with her blog

We were in a hurry for home. He picked me at my work and went home. We cooked our dinner first and last, the POPCORN. Sorry, I was a little afraid to cook it because we don't have enough utensils yet in our kitchen. So, I just gave instruction to him. :-) I put a lot of oil but I think that was wrong, he told me only a little. A few minutes later... it pops! pop! explode! explode! I said, Happy New Year! Happy New Year! :-) Hurray! It's finished! 


Smells good and looks good! Before we had our dinner, we had our Family Home Evening! And here's how it goes....



We sung "How Firm a Foundation". My husband lead the opening prayer. I gave the lesson. 



PARABLE OF THE POPCORN

Behold at the time of the harvest, the ears of corn did bring forth kernels which we dried and prepared for the popper's hand.

And then it was that the popper did take the kernels, all of which appeared alike unto him, and did apply the oil and the heat.

And it came to pass that when the heat was on, some did explode with promise and did magnify themselves an hundred fold, and some did burst forth with whiteness which did both gladden the eye and satisfy the taste of the popper. And likewise, some others did pop, but not too much.
But lo, there were some that did just lie tee and even thought the popper's heat was alike unto all, they did bask in the warmth of the oil and kept everything they had for themselves.

And so it came to pass that those which had given of themselves did bring joy and delight to many munchers, but those which kept of the warmth and did not burst forth were fit only to be cast out into the pail and thought of with hardness and disgust.
And this we see that in the beginning all appear alike, but when the hear is on, some come forth and give their all, while others fail to pop and become as chaff to be discarded and forgotten.

We discuss about how this would relate in our spirituality. We like the thought that our Father in Heaven gave us talents and skills and many other things to be able to grow. We are able to make covenants to elevate and magnify our spirituality. We have the commandments to be able to strengthen our families and to love our neighbor. If we are able to do what the Lord wants us to do, our light will shine or like the popcorn, we will explode and pop! and showed whiteness in color. We will have the ability to make other happy. But if we will not do and keep everything we had for ourselves we will be hard and be cast out.

My husband like the lesson we had. He said that the lesson is nice. If we will do nothing, we will be nothing. So, we should do something! And he said, " luv, maybe next time, the parable of the spaghetti naman". :-) hehehe...

We close by singing "Improve the Shining Moments" and I offer the prayer.

We don't have the games because we are only two. I think this is more fun if children are present. 

If you like to do this in your Family Home Evening, you can download the lessons, games and other ideas from this very smart sister! I should give her a big thanks for inspiring me a lot!!

I did the chores... and they did something great!


Comments

Popular Posts