Our Future Home

Oh~~ I have a sweet story to share with you. This is one of the entries in my journal. When my hubby and I was in the stage of dreaming for our future and the possibilities (if really are the one to each other), we talked about having a HOME.

He shared to me his desire to have his own home in their hometown (Escalante, Negros, Philippines). Since, I have not been there, I listened to him carefully. He talked about the lot he has inherited from his parents. Although it is not so big but he prepared that for his future family which really impress me though. He shared how "our home" would look like if ever we are the one. We discussed how it would be built and so on. I really enjoyed listening to his stories and and I felt a confirmation that maybe he is really the right man for me! :-) 
And truly he is the right man! :-) Because that was the answer to my prayer to God. I asked God that I wanted a man who loves home and family. And I saw that he really loves his family. He loves home. When I went to there place, I saw how close there family to each other. How happy they are and how the gospel brings joy to them. My prayer was answered.
 
So, after he shared the story, we need to visualize how it would look like and it would be planned. We got a piece of calendar paper and he started to drew in 3D. It was a little bit funny to see him drew because he has hard time and not sure if he is interpreting the drawing correctly from what is in his mind. I just feel sad that I did not keep the first drawing we had that day into my journal. I missed that one!

So, after trying, I incorporated my idea to him. And using my knowledge of making a house (as Civil Engineer by profession), I helped him draw the vision he has. So, we come up with this one. We draw this in a piece of old calendar paper.
And show him how it would look like outside when built.

Here is another view.

I drew in AUTOCAD to make it presentable but we feel worry that it became beautiful and and the cost increase. :-) But it gives as so much desire, hope, faith and gratefulness to build a home and a family.
Since then, the desire of having a home never fade in our mind and heart. Praying, pondering and searching for inspiration continually. I know that it will take us a lot of time to built this house but with perfect timing of the Lord, this will come as reality. We will really enjoy! 

A new design came. An overwhelming inspiration always come.  
We keep on improving our plan not because we like it to be beautiful and with personal preference but because an inspiration from the Holy Ghost telling me to design a home that can be a heaven on earth. I keep on pondering how? how? how? 

 
The answers were so much inspiring:
1. Pres. Posadas, 2nd councilor in Cebu Central Stake, an architect, who talked about home during the Stake Conference 2010. He said that mostly here in Philippines, the most considered point in designing the living area is the location of T.V. And he too does that. And he further explain that he realized it is not good because the family will always be focus on entertainment rather than family activities. He then told us that in arranging the furniture in the living area should not be centered on T.V. but living area should be a place for family gathering and activities like family home evening and family scripture study.
I liked the talk he gave on Stake Conference. In making my design, 
I should always consider the most important 
things that my family should do in the home. 
2.  "May our homes be a library of learning.... The standard works offer the ultimate library of learning.... Let us read from them often, both privately and with our families, that we may be enlightened and edified and draw closer to the Lord." (Thomas S. Monson, Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting, Feb. 2008)
3. Home Storage
4. Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; D&C 88:119
A good example from TheIdeaRoom 
5. "Sacred Homes, Sacred Temples", Elder Gary E. Stevenson, 
Of the First Quorum of the Seventy
I like the talk he gave about home and temple. 
 “Only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness.”
"Take a virtual tour of our homes using our spiritual eyes."
 "Wherever your home may be and whatever its configuration, the application of eternal gospel principles within its walls is universal. Let’s begin. Imagine that you are opening your front door and walking inside your home. 

Together with my husband, answered the questions honestly.
What do you see, and how do you feel? We feel peace and comfort.

Is it a place of love, peace, and refuge from the world, as is the temple? Not totally the same as temple but striving to be one.

Is it clean and orderly? No. It is not clean. hehe.. A lot of dust because we don't have time to clean. Both of us are working. I asked one of the Sisters to help me clean the windows and I feel happy with that. We are orderly at home.

As you walk through the rooms of your home, do you see uplifting images which include appropriate pictures of the temple and the Savior? We have picture of Cebu Philippines Temple and the Savior in our living area. I've learn that we need to put also in our rooms. Just last general conference, one of the speaker counsel us to put photos of the Savior and temple on our rooms and our children's rooms.

Is your bedroom or sleeping area a place for personal prayer? Yes. Our room is where we can pour out our spirit to the Lord.

Is your gathering area or kitchen a place where food is prepared and enjoyed together, allowing uplifting conversation and family time? Sometimes. If we cook at home.

Are scriptures found in a room where the family can study, pray, and learn together? Yes. We have enough on our study table.

Can you find your personal gospel study space? Yes. We really have provided a study table for us to study. We need quite place and a table to study.

Does the music you hear or the entertainment you see, online or otherwise, offend the Spirit? We only sometimes play the hymns at home because we don't have player but we don't play music that can offend the Spirit.

Is the conversation uplifting and without contention? Yes.We say please, thank you and sorry. :-)

That concludes our tour. Perhaps you, as I, found a few spots that need some “home improvement”—hopefully not an “extreme home makeover.”
Whether our living space is large or small, humble or extravagant, there is a place for each of these gospel priorities in each of our homes."

Now, we are living in an apartment. I know I don't have to wait to build our dream house and follow the admonition of the church leaders and our Prophet. I'm thankful for my husband's desire to also follow this counsel. We, together, are striving to make our house a place of refuge, peace, prayer, learning, fasting, order and even a house that can be compared to the Temple. Our house may not be beautiful and full of expensive furniture but we are striving to fill it with so much love that it may look beautiful. :-)

"God provides divine insight into the type f home the Lord would have us build. Doing such begins the construction of a "spiritual mansion" in which we all may reside regardless of our worldly circumstance-a home filled with treasure that "neither moth nor rust doth corrupt." 
 (Elder Gary E. Stevenson, Sacred Home, Sacred Temple, General Conference April 2009)



Comments

Popular Posts