Dinner Discussions

My new goal for this year is to have a Dinner Discussions with family, missionaries and friends. Our first experience was during our Christmas Dinner with the missionaries. It was a success and memorable. One of the missionaries said it was also a reflection night. We talked about Christmas. I made games and questions about it. And discussions were amazing! Just like what we had last new year. I decided to have New Year's Eve Reflection Game from the Dating Divas. 
I chose to have this as one of my goals because I wanted to start this as a family tradition. I feel that good gospel conversation or even personal discussion is important in the family and as well with friends.

How does it works with me?

Here's how I do it. 

1.) INVITATION
Their are two things that I do.
First, how many of my family are at home for dinner. Or if I wanted to invite friends, I only limit to 4 persons. Just like the missionaries in our ward, we have 4 of them. You probably ask why? Because 4 plus us is only we can accommodate in our table, budget, time, and I don't want to be pressure. :-) Also, I intend that this would be a good conversation and discussion where everyone can say their thoughts and feelings. If I invite more, it think it's more of a party.
Second, schedule the date and time. For my family it is easy. What I did with friends, I invite them one month ahead. For me to have time to think what topic, food, and setting I wanted to create when they come. Also, this could help them adjust with their schedule as well. 

2.) SETTING
I always choose to gather at the dining table. In our new house (I will make separate post about that soon.) I consider designing our dining which promote discussions and good conversation. It is where I always imagine that we gather and bond together. 

3.) ACTIVITY
When family or friends gather at the table, their are two scenarios. It's either they started the conversation with so many topic, the dangerous when started gossiping or did not even know what to talk about, when they are quite. So, while my husband and I are preparing the food, I prepare an activity place mat.
Activity Place mat
This depends on topic that I chose. It is actually a paper place mat 
where there are puzzles, quotes and games. So, while we are preparing for food, 
they are going to answer the games that I chose. This serve as preparatory for 
the discussion later. There are words related to the main topic. I give them simple "how to".
Pray
I would give them a cue that after they answer the puzzles, whoever the first to be done will be the one to pray. Having a prayer is really important they we will be guided by the Spirit and our discussion will be blessed with lessons, learning's and inspirations.
Dinner Time
It is eating time. We talk less when eating. Let's give time to savor the food. :-)
Game
I wait that everyone is done with their food. Dessert will be served. And announce that we will have a little bit of game on the table. It does not need to transfer or to stand. Just at the table. It could be charades, guessing games, matching games and more possibilities at Pinterest. :-) The game should not also bring so much excitement but should be fun but not loud. 
Discussion
After the game, dish out the plates and clean the table. It's now time for the discussions.    
I have mason jar with questions in rolled paper on it. I prepare only 10 questions and allow only 4 to 6 questions to be drawn out to control time. Each should draw 1 rolled paper from mason jar altogether. We open the paper so that we can think of our own answer. There is no numbering. Allow who wants to go first. The question will be read and allow all who are at the table to answer the question. The one who get the question will be the last to answer. 
Make each of their turn to read the questions and allow everyone to answer.
Closing Prayer
End with prayer for thankfulness and ask for blessings.  

For this coming February, my husband and I invited 2 couples for Dinner Discussion. Our topic would be about LOVE. Here is an activity place mat that I made. You can use this also. If you want to revised please comment below. I would be glad to send you editable copy.  I got the LOVE puzzles from PINTEREST. I'll be using the matching game from CREATIONS FROM KARA.

And I'll update you soon after what happened to our dinner discussions.
THANKS!

Post a Comment

0 Comments