Preparing for Christmas



I am preparing for Christmas. Not with so much food on the table. Not with full of decorations at home. Not with listing gifts. But preparing for something much more important than these things. It is preparing my spirit, my soul, my heart and mind for receiving such a greater light of inspiration, light, hope and love from our loving Heavenly Father and Jesus. I wanted to feel that spirit of thanksgiving and giving in the true spirit of Christmas

"By focusing on your loved ones, enjoying or building holiday traditions, and following the Savior's example of service, you can give yourself and your family true, lasting Christmas gifts."

How can we express our thanks and love to our loved one? What Christmas traditions that we can adopt and enjoy for our family? How can we follow the Savior's example of service that we can give for myself, my family and to  my neighbor? These are questions I'd like to ponder and pray for. 

An inspiring experience I had in Taiwan when our client from United Kingdom invited us to celebrate Christmas in there house with his family. Actually, it was belated Christmas celebration because Chinese do not celebrate Christmas. We have work that Christmas time and felt sad. I was eager to see the wonderful pictures from internet and listen to Christmas songs just to feel the spirit of it. Greeted my family and my husband. A friend who married a Taiwanese woman, invited us to have lunch with his family and celebrated Christmas with them. He understand how does it feel like to live in a country who does not celebrate or even believe on Christmas day. When we got there, they were already preparing for food. The food are so simple, healthy and yummy. The main dish was roasted turkey. We had mashed potatoes, broiled broccoli, other boiled veggies, chicken and not so familiar dessert from UK. Everyone in the table wait for everyone to finish and we had a little game. Each one of us in the table picked a riddle and answered it as fast as we could and if you can't answer it you will do something fun. 

After we the games, we clean the table. Washed the dishes right away and gathered ourselves in the living area with Christmas tree and gifts. There our friend, stood up and start giving gift for his wife and to his children. After that, each one of them take their gift and gave it their loved ones. And I was surprised that me and my co-coworkers got a gift and open it right away. In Philippines, we open our gift after the program, in our room, or we open gifts privately. So, I felt a little awkward about that moment but it nice. And everyone was delighted and enjoyed in that simple celebration. 



I was inspired in that very moment. I told myself that I will make and build our own Christmas tradition with my family that we will enjoy for the rest of our life and pass it over to our generations. Last Christmas, I celebrated with my hubby. I prepared simple food. I prepared table with flowers and the setting. I prepared gift for my hubby and share some thoughts about Christmas. Watch movie. 

And now, there are so many ideas that we can select for our Christmas traditions or celebrations with our family. 

Here are my suggestions for Christmas:

1. Prepare food and arrange it the table. It does not mean to have so many food or glamorous table setting. 

2. There are great Mormon Messages from YouTube that you can download with Christmas messages. Watch this during the Christmas. You can see videos here.

3. Families with children, you can ask your children to prepare a simple gift for parents or to brothers or sister. It maybe a card or drawings.

4. Have a FAMILY HOME EVENING is the most recommendation I can give. And this is the first thing we should do.

5. There are also Family movies that are nice to watch. You can use that one. Example: "The Polar Express". Or in church DVD's like "Joy to the World".

6. Play music. I would like to choose from our church Christmas songs. It is slow and spirit inviting. Unlike the one that makes you dance. It's a different thing. We should choose the one that will praise God. Music is one of the ways.

7. If you are a new family or wanted to build a new Christmas Tradition that is centered in our Savior Jesus Christ, you can pray and seek for inspiration from our loving Father in Heaven that will suit to your family's needs. You can also search all about CHRISTMAS in our church's website. It is very inspiring and helpful.

Simplify your Christmas by embracing the spiritual side of the season.

The gift of Christmas isn't wrapped up in presents or parties. The gift of Christmas is Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten of the Father, the Son of God. As you follow Him, you put people first. You may spend less time in lines and more time serving others. You may spend less money on - and more time with - the people you love. You may lose yourself and you may find everything else that matters.

Post a Comment

0 Comments